Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Snuggles with Wombat

I woke up about 20 minutes before my first alarm was due to go off this morning. I thought about getting up and doing some study before getting ready for work, but suddenly spending the time snuggling with Wombat held more appeal. I turned the first alarm off on my phone and settled in for a snuggle session.

At the moment, Thunder Maker and I are bed sharing with both of our boys. It was always something we fought against with Seagull, but he would generally wake up if we tried to put him back in his cot after a night feed. I think he could sense our agitation with the enforced bed sharing arrangement because he was always a very unsettled sleeper and would kick us in his sleep.

I went back to work part time when Seagull was 11 months old. Seagull went through a feeding frenzy of sorts at just after 12 months old. He would want to feed for about an hour at a time. If I thought he was asleep and tried to remove my breast so I could go back to sleep, he would crack an almighty hissy fit until I put him back to the breast.

When he started getting to the point of feeding like this five times a night, I'd had enough of being sleep deprived. We moved Seagull's cot into his own room and Seagull out of our bed. He protested at first, but we were firm and he started to sleep through. Which was a blessing, given that we found out I was pregnant again a couple of weeks later.

I was determined that Wombat was going to sleep in his cot (in our room) and not in our bed. It lasted until he was about 10 weeks old and would wake up every time I tried to put him back in the cot after a feed. I caved and figured that I'd deal with transitioning him into his own bed later.

Seagull was transitioned from a cot to a bed not long after Wombat was born. He was happy enough being in the bed and slept well enough there, but when we went away for one of my uni residential schools earlier this year, both of the boys ended up sleeping in the larger bed with me and Thunder Maker had the single bed to himself.

When we got home, it was really cold at night and we couldn't afford to run our central heating overnight so we decided to let Seagull continue sleeping in our bed so he didn't get cold down the other end of our very long house all by himself. Seagull no longer thrashes around in his sleep and the arrangement has been working well for all concerned.

So, back to our snuggle this morning. We started off with me laying on my back and Wombat's arm draped over my tummy, but I decided that I wanted to lay on my side. When I rolled over, Wombat rolled over as well so that he was spooning into me.

I can't describe how nice it was laying there, cuddling my baby boy into me. I was marvelling at how snuggly he is and breathing in his scent from his hair, occasionally giving his head kisses. When I looked over him, Wombat had his hand over Seagull's hand. It gives me great joy to see the affection that Wombat and Seagull show for each other, even in their sleep.

It occurred to me that they are only little and snuggly for such a short period of time in their lives. Soon enough they will want to sleep in their own beds and they will consider themselves too big for cuddles and snuggles with Mum. For now, I'm going to enjoy every moment where they want to cuddle or snuggle with me.

Except for the cuddles where Wombat decides to bite me. That really hurts.

No comments: