Thursday 27 October 2011

Happy 1st Birthday Wombat!

Wow, I can't get over the fact that my baby turns 1 today. It really doesn't seem like it was that long ago that I was meeting him for the very first time. I remember looking at Wombat for the first time and thinking of how different he looked to Seagull at birth. Obviously, I didn't expect him to be a carbon copy of Seagull, but I suppose I expected Wombat to look more similar to Seagull than he did.

I really savoured the first four days that Wombat and I spent in the maternity ward at the local hospital. All the staff were really surprised at how quiet it was on the baby front, given the time of year. They were in no hurry to get rid of us and I was in no hurry to go home. I knew that I would not get as much one-on-one time with Wombat once we got home, so I made the most of the time we had in hospital just to marvel in the sight of him and to get to know him.

Getting home was interesting. I went from having had a really good routine in place to get Seagull and myself ready of a morning and only taking 30 minutes to get both of us ready to suddenly taking 2 hours to get all three of us ready. I put it down to feeling so smashed after the birth.

Seagull seemed to like his little brother from the beginning. I had spent a lot of my time while pregnant telling him that there was a bubby inside of Mummy. He used to like to lift my top up to expose my belly, then rub it to feel Wombat inside of me and say "Bubby". When he was done, he'd pull my top down and toddle away. Seagull did it soon after Wombat was born, while I had him in my arms. I explained to him that Bubby wasn't inside of Mummy anymore and that this is Bubby in Mummy's arms. Even now, he still calls Wombat "Bubby" as often as he calls him by his actual name.

Anyway, I was going to put up a couple of photos of Wombat from my phone, but I have just discovered that attempting to sync my phone with Samsung Kies on Sunday night has corrupted all of the images on my phone. If anyone knows how I can fix it, please leave a comment.

Edit: Don't worry, I just figured out that when I synched my phone on Sunday that instead of downloading all of my photos into Kies, it uploaded a heap of random images on my phone. The original pictures are still there and I am now deleting over 3300 of crap images off my phone. #mothermoment.

3 comments:

Ames said...

Happy birthday Wombat! Time flies too fast when they are young.

Rachel said...

awwww...! Happy Birthday Wombat! the second one seems to fly by quicker than the oldest kid don't you think? enjoy his special day and congrats to making it through another first year! x

Mel said...

Thanks for your lovely comments ladies. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

You're right Rachel, it does seem to fly past so much faster with the second child. Almost makes me want to have another one. :) At the same time, I'm looking forward to both of the boys being older and more independant.