Monday 30 April 2012

My weight loss project - the start

I’ve been reading Tina’s blog for a while and have been eagerly following her weight loss journey. I am so inspired that she is making an active effort to change her lifestyle, sticking with it and seeing some impressive results. Tina still has a way to go to reach her end goal, but she is not giving up and that’s what I find particularly inspiring.

I want to lose weight to reduce my risk of developing chronic diseases. My maternal grandmother is overweight and has cardiovascular problems and has developed type 2 diabetes that no longer responds to diet, so she is on insulin. My mother is also overweight and has been diagnosed as being pre-diabetic. Mum has also had problems with high blood pressure. If I don’t lose some weight, that will be me in another 20 – 40 years.

I also want to set a good example for Seagull and Wombat. I want them to know that exercise and eating healthy nutrient-rich, low energy foods are important to living a healthy life.

In addition to the above, I’m studying Nutrition at uni. I would like to work as a Nutritionist once I finish uni. How much credibility do you think a fat Nutritionist has?

I have decided to blog weekly to document my weight loss and to keep myself accountable. In addition to weighing myself, I will be taking waist and hip measurements. I’ve decided not to measure my bust because I am breastfeeding and my bust measurement can vary a lot depending on when Wombat last breastfed.

My goals are to get down to 60kg and to get my waist measurement down to 75cm.

My starting measurements are:

Starting weight

Weight: 69.3kg
Waist: 85cm
Hips: 101cm

Between not feeling very well lately and working 17 days out of the last 21, 14 of them being either a late or early shift, I've been making up plenty of excuses not to exercise. I've been going to Step Into Life outdoor group personal training sessions since April last year.


With this week off work, I decided that I would go to a few extra Step Into Life sessions, starting with the 6:15am Monday boxercise class. When I woke up just after 5am this morning, I started coming up with every excuse in the book not to go. I was exhausted after coming off shift, I needed the sleep, the glands in my neck were coming up, Wombat wanted a feed and I probably wouldn’t make it out the door in time.

Then I thought to myself “I’d bet that Tina wouldn’t give up so easily”. That did it, I kicked Wombat off the breast (who promptly went back to sleep) when my alarm went off at 5:20am, weighed myself, got dressed, grabbed my gear and got out the door.

In the end, I was really glad I went. There's something deeply satisfying about exercising whilst the sun is coming up. The glands in my neck still feel sore, but at least I'm getting back on the wagon.

4 comments:

Tina Gray said...

I love that talking about my own weight loss mission has inspired you to start blogging about your own. But I did have to laugh about your "I’d bet that Tina wouldn’t give up so easily" comment. This morning, I was so thankful that our PT session wasn't till this afternoon because it's getting so cold in the mornings! But you're right. Walking while the sun comes up is a great way to start the day xx

Mel said...

Thanks for your support Tina. It's always nice to know other people are cheering you on. I was wondering what you would have to say about my comment of "I bet Tina wouldn't give up this easily". I think we all have mornings where we'd rather be in bed where it's warm, but it all depends on how badly you want to change your life as to whether you curl up and go back to sleep or drag your backside out of bed and do it anyway. This morning, thinking of you was what I needed to motivate myself. :)

Rhonda - Silly Mummy said...

Good job. I've been struggling a little in April. I hope May brings me more luck. I think it's the scales that throw me offtrack. My weight in numbers are still the same - ish - but my clothes are getting too big. So I suppose it's working but I need to stop obsessing with the scales!

Mel said...

Hi Rhonda, I think sometimes when you decrease your fat density and increase your muscle density at the same time, the numbers on the scale don't move much if at all, but if you take measurements, you will find that they are still steadily decreasing. Good luck with May!